Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vapor Distribution Belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afox88

Chemical
Dec 9, 2014
US
Does compress handle vapor distribution belts for a heat exchanger or do I have to model it as a separate vessel? I did not see the option.

Please advise,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Afox88,

COMPRESS has a feature to evaluate Integral Flat Head with large single circular central opening, Appendix 14.

Here is a story that could help you. We were asked to evaluate a heat exchanger with a vapor distribution belt. We first tried the Appendix 14 approach and the results were a required thickness for vapor distribution belt that was very thick (over 2" for MAWP=150 psi). We decided then to evaluate the vessel by use of FEA.

Hope it helps,

Eddy

Eddy1988 - How did you justify that approach to your AI? Paragraph UHX-4(c) provides rules on how to handle a vapor distribution belt, which then refers to Appendix 5, or later in UHX depending on how the internal shell is handled. U-2(g) should only have been applied if there are no rules provided in ASME VIII-1.

Afox88 - As far as I know, Compress does not address vapor distribution belts. Would be a good addition though!

marty007- We did not justify the approach with a local AI. You are correct in saying that the Code does provide some guidance regarding vapor belts, I should have mentioned in the previous post. The particular vessel that I described on the post above was not applicable to Mandatory Appendix 5 in the Code; therefore we used the U-2(g) approach.

I have reviewed many of these vessels and I can say that COMPRESS will not handle this correctly. In my case an FEA was performed for each of these vessels to verify the integrity of the area.

Now that I have a little more experience with compress, I normally run the vapor belt as a separate Division 1 vessel to determine the thickness of the belt and the nozzles. Then I simply perform the closure in an excel document I created based upon Appendix 9 calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back