Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variable frequency transformer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacklabs

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2005
US
Anyone know of a good source for generalized information on "Variable Frequency Transformers"?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Never heard of a "Variable Frequency Transformer". What is it? Or, are you using the wrong term for something else? What are you trying to do?

It allows the transfer of power between grids. As far as i know there are two in existance, one in Quebec and one in Texas. I believe they are also building one in NJ.It's described as a "continuously variable phase shifting transformer that can operate at an adjustable phase angle"

Hi Blacklabs.
It's two different systems in the Quebec and Texas-Mexico line.
We have thread on the issue.
Quebec it's some rotate system of GE.
Texas-Mexico classical back to back DC power link.
I try found this thread and will attach.
Best Regards.
Slava

I was somewhat involved with one of these projects. There was trouble in the beginning with high magnetic forces trying to tear the thing apart. This required addtional bracing. Also trouble with the drive controling rotation of the windings. Pretty much just a BIG science project....

I don't agree with you. I had chance talked to the guy who invented the VFT thing it is a big generator like a hydro unit stator side connect to one side and rotor connect to the other side. It is a very talent idea and equipment. the first one HQ put in the the border between Canada and us I guess.go to google and you will find the interesting staffs.

I am wondering if someone has renamed a rotary phase converter a variable frequency transformer. I think they were commonly used to transfer power between 60 Hz and 25 Hz systems, or to derive 25 Hz from 60 Hz.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

waross:

We had the same in Germany: Some rotating machinery of this type was built by Siemens Berlin. They were converting 50 Hz three phase power into 16 2/3 Hz single phase power for the German Railway traction grid. The 500 rpm set of 31.25 MVA consisted of a 16 2/3 Hz single phase generator, driven by a 50 Hz three phase asynchronous motor. A slip machine (type Siemens-Lydall) was also mechanically coupled with this converter.

Wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back