Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variable instead of number in Dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPaul

Mechanical
Jul 14, 2010
Hi Guys,
I have a a few parts that are essentially the same so in the drawing I would like to use one view with a width "W" that I later define in a table.
Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CPaul,

We do many dwgs like u mentioned above..we put a Dimension and then Edit Append the text to change number to "W" or any other letter.And use a table for giving details of different parts

I also have a question to Others ,Doing this will make Dimension Manually edited.is it a way to create this Dimension without making it manually edited dimension?

Nithin

NX 6.0.2.8 MP4
Teamcenter 2007
WINDOWS XP (64 Bit)

"Do you just want the Drawing to show a 'W' instead of dimension or do you expect the part to update if someone changes the table?"

John,
I would only like the dimension to show up as a W instead. The table is just there as a note.

I am on NX7. I know how to append the dimension, but how do I actually prevent the numerical dimension from showing up?

Unless the menus changed between NX6 and NX7, the answer jerry1423 gave should do the trick. You can't prevent the dimension text from showing up, but you can edit it to be whatever you want.

Ok, so when I right click > edit, I get a menu with value, text, settings, and driving (which is grayed out). I click on text and I get into the appended text menu where I can add text to the right, left, top, and bottom of the dimension. No where do I see the numbers of the dimension to replace. Am I missing something here?

You can't get to it from the right click menu.

You have to go into the edit menu. It is not on the right click menu because it isn't something you should be doing often.

Also, what you can do is add what you want as appended text then make the dimension text size very tiny so that it won't show up.
You may then need to adjust the line spacing values (in the dimension), in each of the types under "lettering", to make the dimension look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back