Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

variable pitch helix/configs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotiron

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2007
Hi all,
I've always used three helix function to represent springs. One tight pitch for each end and one for the body. I could always add configurations for different lengths, including solid heights, as needed. Recently I began to play with the variable pitch option to form both ends and body in one shot. While I can still add a solid height configuration for a given length, I cannot find how to add separate configurations i.e. longer lengths, more coils, etc.
Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Amazing! I was just going to start the same thread. How can I make the pitch of a spring configuration specific? I just want to show the free and extended states in an assembly?

finisher SW2008 SP 3.1

I think you might control this with a sketch and a data table. I've not done this before myself, but if I needed this, I would try to control the helix length by the length of a sketched line.

So I sketch a line, dimension it, and control the dimension with a data table. I create the helix and link the length to the length dimension of the line in the data table. And this is where I'm a bit foggy on this stuff, but perhaps the line dimension can be controlled separately within each configuration--each configuration having its own dimension.

If that doesn't work in a straight-forward manner, I'd try having separate sketches for the line--one used in one config and the other used in the other config--each with the dimension you want in that particular configuration.

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

hotiron,

After you create the helix, you can access all the feature dimensions by double-clicking the helix feature in the featuremanager design tree. From there double-click the dimensions you want to change and specify which configuration the change needs to made to. Hope this helps

BoomerSooner7

finisher
See Boomers post. Changing the pitch/length on a single detail is easy. Add a configuration, click the helix feature in the design tree, double click the dimension needing to be changed and make it configuration specific.

Theo
Sounds like the variable pitch feature for helixes
(heli? lol)does not lend itself to configurations as easy as I would have liked. I'll play with it but I guess it is not that important to have all sizes. I'll get around it with a detail print and table of sizes.
Thanks to all

Using the design table for this feature is the same as with anything else. Choose Show feature dimensions after the helix is created, insert design table and click the parameters you want to make configurations for.

BS7

Thanks, Guys, for all your input. It turned out to be quite simple after all. I first created a second configuration so that I had one for the spring extended as well as the original for the spring relaxed. By default the pitch of course remained the same for the two config's. Then by just RMB the pitch dimension in the graphics window (first highlight the Helix feature) SolidWorks allowed me to configure this dimension same as for any other dimension. The curve ball is that apparently one cannot do this in the feature control dialog box where you originally set the pitch.

finisher SW2008 SP4.0

PS - This is such a cool forum that helps me a lot!

Hotiron & Finisher,

I've never tried to model a spring. I've always use this one that I got off of 3D Content Central a few years ago. All dimensions are controlled and editted in the "Control Sketch." The pitch is driven by the length and the number of turns of the helix. It is pretty easy to make compressed/pre-load/free-state configurations.

Joe
SW Office 2006 SP5.1
P4 3.0Ghz 1GB
ATI FireGL X1

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c3944338-a57e-4281-a636-6628c4768d8a&file=spring.zip
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back