Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variations of parts and assemblies 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gedkins

Mechanical
May 11, 2001
US
Trying to get my head around Ref Sets and Categories and how they are applied. Here is my current paradigm: In Solidworks you can create "configurations" in parts or assemblies. In parts you could create a config for the purposes of having different size bolts, i.e. lengths, dia's, etc. I see this as Part Families in UG. Also in Solidworks you can create configs at the assembly level. For example if I had a two part assembly (a box with and a hinged cover) I could create a pair of configs, one showing the box open, the other closed. The assembly does not have two covers in it. It just has one cover inserted with the configs controlling the value of the covers angle with respect to the box. Meaning the Closed config has the angle value at 0 and the Open confighas it at 45 degrees for example.
In UG am I correct in saying that to do the same box and cover scenario I need to add the cover twice to the assembly and then put one on a layer called Open that shows it open and the other instance of it on a layer called Closed? And if I wanted to make it easier to understand and work with would I then use Categories in the layer control?
Are there other ways to achieve the same thing?

Thanks

Guy Edkins

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version of UG?

You can simulate the open/close condition with an angular mating condition. If you need to show both views on a drawing then you may need multiple refsets.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I think NX2 also has configurations, which allow multiple positions of the same component.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Ben is right

starting from nx2 ug has the ability to define different configuration (arrangements) of the parts in the assembly.

see this thread

Non-standard Equipment Designer

I found the Edit Arrangement function but I cannot get it to show a component in two different locations. Will it work with components that are not mated/constrained?

Guy Edkins

hi gedkins

To create an additional arrangement:

1. Select an assembly or subassembly in the Assembly Navigator.
2. Choose Arrangements-> Edit from the assembly's pop-up menu.

The Assembly Arrangements dialog appears.

3. Select an arrangement in the list box.
4. Choose Copy.

This creates a new arrangement with a default name. You can, if you wish, change the name now. (Or you can rename it at any time by double-clicking the name, or by selecting it and choosing Rename.)

5. Move the components into the positions you want them to have in the new arrangement, and save your parts when you are finished.

This saves the new arrangement along with your assembly.

you can find very comprehensively explained info in the help files. the italic above is copy-paste only. it would be interesting for you to read the help files looking for arrangement specific mating conditions and suppression state. i hope this is useful.

Non-standard Equipment Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back