Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variety of Heat Treatment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mb17

Automotive
Mar 1, 2005
US
I am a mechanical engineer, and have been asked to suggest heat treatment processes for a variety of materials. Is there a good reference guide out there? That gives you tables of required strength, hardness, etc... for each material with the corresponding heat treatment process.

From my student days I remember the fundamentals for carbon steels, but we did not cover any other specific material.

Cheers,

MJ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would recommend a metallurgical engineer to assist you. I wouldn't try to buy a book to help me (MetE) design a bridge or a pump or an electrical system. The books will give you some theory and lots of "if this, do this" solutions. Maybe you're looking at a simple problem and you'll find the solution in there. But consider getting help.

Im going to second MetalsInc's reccommendation to hire a Metallurgist to assit you. You might even find that a good consulting Met. will provide some insight into the design of parts for heattreating.

nick

MB17, I'm a MechEng and licensed professional engineer. I have worked with a metallurgist for the past 5 years...if you don't get some advice, you could find yourself in deep trouble. A MechEng and a MetE make a good combination. Individually, they can each do some good things, but together they are a powerful combination. Seriously consider MetalsInc's recommendation...it has great merit!

Dear friends

have you any information about heat treatment temperature and time of API5L Gr.X60 steel?

My question is about recovery,recristalisation & growth temperature and holding time.(for achieving to fine grain structure of welded groove joint by E8018 electrode in welding area which As per my syudies ,base structure of fusion zone,HAZ and base metal is ferritic and in part of FZ & HAZ areaes Bainitic structure(Witdmanstatan) has been observed.

Please be informed about chemical composition of above mentiond Carbon-Manganese Steel:

%C:Max. 0.26
%Mn:Max. 1.25
%S,P<0.030

Thanks for your help,

Regards
Kayvan

First comment is that you need to start a new thread.

Second comment, are you talking about post weld heat treatment or re-heat treatment of API 5L Grade 60 material after welding?

Sub-critical post weld heat treatment is referenced in the ASME Power Piping Code B31.3 (identified as an S-No1 Gr 2 material). For material that is greater than 3/4" in thickness, PWHT is 1100-1200 deg F for 1 hour per inch of material thickness. Re-heat treatment would need to be performed in accordance with the API 5L specification.

To achieve a fine grained HAZ without re-heat treatment, you need to use the GTAW (gas tungsten arc welding) process versus SMAW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back