Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Various hydraulic/hydrology modeling programs???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutbutter

Civil/Environmental
Sep 1, 2005
US
What's the difference and how compatible are these different programs:

SWMM, HEC, Hydra, H20 Net SWMM, HEC-1, HEC-HMS, HEC-2, HEC-RAS, HY8

Why are there so many and what are they each used for?? The same thing?? Similar things?? Completely different things???

I've used HEC-RAS a little bit in college, other than that I've never used any of these. Would it be possible for someone to learn some of these on the job with minimal training? I would assume so since there are so many different programs...

Obviously, I know nothing about these programs and how they differ. Can anyone offer a good place to look to shed some light on all these programs?

Adios,
Stoddard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks.

I was looking for a little insight, primarily into the HEC programs and what they're all used for........whatever information I've found on google, for some reason or another, never sticks with me.

Insight into HEC? I'll google the rest...

Peace,
Stoddard

From a quick google some simplified descriptions:

HEC-1 = generates a single flood hydrograph (storm runoff)
HEC-HMS = Multiple flood hydrographs...can be routed in a network of elements.
HEC-2 = "The HEC-2 program computes water surface profiles for one-dimensional steady, gradually varied flow in rivers of any cross section"
HEC-RAS = next generation of software succeeding HEC-2 with enhanced capabilities.
HY8 = Culvert analysis
SWMM = "a dynamic rainfall-runoff simulation model used for single event or long-term (continuous) simulation of runoff quantity and quality from primarily urban areas"

It is possible to learn any package on the job. The amount of training varies with the complexity of the software. I usually try to use the simplest software that is sufficient for a particular task. "On the job" experience and mentoring is how one comes to know what softare is appropriate for a particular task.

HYDRA, SWMM, and all the SWMM variants do essentially the same things: calculate hydraulic dynamics in urban drainage systems (pipes, channels, pressure lines, etc.). HYDRA and SWMM approach the problem differently, which means there are key differences in terminology that makes it difficult for the novice to compare them.

If you are interested in some good reading matterial on the differences, read "The HYDRA Difference: Understanding HYDRA's Design Solution Approach". You can find the paper here:

HYDRA is more oriented to system design work, and has been adopted by the FHWA and state DOTs. SWMM is more oriented to system operations, and is supported in part by the US EPA. Both programs are used widely by municipalities.

I hope that helps!

For a tabular presentation of the capabilities of these software application and others, see “ Download links for these and other hydrologic, hydraulic, and water quality software applications are at “
SWMM (Storm Water Management Model) - This is the primary software application I use for hydrologic, hydraulic, and water quality analysis, especially full system design - from single lot backyard channels to commercial complexes and residential subdivisions to complex watersheds of many square miles and different land uses. I use it for both hydrologic single storm event (10y 24h Type II, for example) and continuous watershed response simulation as well as simple and complex analysis/design. The user can choose from SCS/NRCS Curve Number, Green-Ampt, or Horton infiltration/runoff approaches. Open channels, closed conduits, curb/yard inlets, storage basins, weirs, orifices, and other hydraulic components are included in the model. It is very ease to learn and use (a tutorial is included), with excellent context-sensitive help. There are lots of example applications readily available for download and review/use. SWMM is completely free, open source, widely accepted, and widely used. It is also very stable software, never having crashed on me. It is equally applicable to stormwater management systems, sanitary sewer collection, and combined sanitary/stormwater sewers. I use it for roadway, culvert, channel, bioretention, basin, and other analysis, including design and subsequent permit application submissions.

HEC-1/HMS - I used to use HEC-1 (older version) and then HEC-HMS for watershed analysis and some stormwater design. It's a pretty good system, but the current and recent versions are without as many options and are not as user-friendly as SWMM. There may be some features I am missing, but I am pretty sure SWMM provides or exceeds all the functionality of HEC-1/HMS (with the exception of gridded precipitation data as input for the Mod-Clark method, but that is extremely rarely employed approach - if ever employed - by most users). SWMM is like HEC-1/HMS and HEC-2/RAS combined into one package.

HYDRA - This is a hydrologic and hydraulic simulation model and the current version has a nice GUI (Graphical User Interface). This software has an interesting history in my opinion. (Check out “ For decades this software was apparently “in the public domain” and distributed by the federal government as such. PIZER, a company owned and run by the children of the developer of this software sells/distributes the commercial version of this software application (or at least, that is my understanding). The older DOS version is still available through HYDRAIN6.1 (FHWA software package), but I think there has been copyright actions by the company to stop all sales/distribution of the package outside PIZER. An exception to this is through “HYDRAIN for Windows” from GKY & Associates ( who prepared the DOS HYDRAIN package for the FHWA. EMS-I built a HYDRA interface for WMS and then took it off the market soon after, apparently due to legal threats by PIZER. (I don't know all the details of this stuff). Overall, HYDRA is powerful - but no more so than SWMM for all practical purposes (or maybe any purpose). HYDRA is also expensive, with the current minimum price at around $4000 I think. Lastly, HYDRA is not open source and there are apparently legal issues related to the software usage. For any purpose you were planning to use HYDRA, I strongly suggest trying out SWMM.

HEC-2/RAS - This is for open channel analysis. The primary strength of this package relative to others is for hydraulic analysis of bridge supports, though it is a 1-D package and more sophisticated analysis of such is readily undertaken with other freely available packages. Lots of folks seem to like it and use it, but I have never found the GUI - or the system in general - intuitive or user friendly. Still, it is one of the better packages to use for basic flood studies and is widely accepted. This package is free from the federal government.

HY8 - This is very good software for culvert analysis. It is straightforward and the latest version has a nice GUI (Graphical User Interface). An older version is contained in the HYDRAIN package. Some previous associated packages and the latest version (I am pretty sure) provides energy dissipation analysis at outlets. HY8 is free from the federal government for download and use. I've used it for may years.

There are lots free software available, much of which is as good or better than the commercial stuff.

tsgrue: site engineering, stormwater
management, landscape design, ecosystem
rehabilitation, mathematical simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back