Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB Code: BOM comaprison of 2 Assembly REVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NXProf

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2012
US
Hello,

I'd like to create a VB program that runs in Teamcenter 9.1 and creates a comparison between the current REV and the previous REV from the Product Structure Editor (PSE). The program would have the comparison in a multi-level fashion, while displaying the BOM expanded to the lowest level. Afterwards, a printout would be generated.

Can someone please help me to get started on such a program?

Thank you for your help ahead of time.

Regards,
NX Prof

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you Mike for your response. But I have been performing my BOM comparisons just as you've described.

In order to save time and effort, I would like to develop a short VB program, which would run through Teamcenter, that would do the following:
1 - prompt the user for the assembly model number
2 - prompt the user for the current REV letter of the assembly
3 - prompt the user for the previous REV letter of the assembly
4 - provide a readout of the comparison, while printing the comparison in the background

If you're unfamiliar with programming (Teamcenter in particular), possibly someone else can help. Thank you again for attempting to assist me.

Regards,
NX Prof

Could you not do it with a workflow process rather than a VB script, the item revs could be placed into folders beneath a workflow item which are attached as process targets to compare contents at all structure levels?

Khimani Mohiki
Design Engineer - Aston Martin
NX8.5

Thank you Mike, Khimani, and Mukundh each for your advice. But since I am unfamiliar with PLMXML, a workflow process, and C/C++, I will have to place this one on hold until another solution may be possible with VB code.

Thanks again.

Regards,
NX Prof

You may be able to use ugmanager_transfer_program -assylist=<output file> -input=<part file> to list an assembly tree for each part and then compare the output from each assembly. This just gives basic item ID and revision and the command could be called from a VB script. The command may need to be packaged in a batch file in order to set the path and the environment variables required to run Teamcenter Integration for NX.

Details of the command can be found in the utilities section of the Teamcenter Integration for NX helpfiles under Transfer Parts Utility.

Mike Hyde
NX8.5 with TC9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back