VE bosch pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectric

Automotive
Aug 9, 2001
US
Hi everyone

Been looking into this pump that is fitted to my 2500cc 4 cylinder landrover.

I think I now understand how it works but does anyone have any detailed info on the setup or tuning of this pump ?

One thing that I have not yet found out concerns the max fuel screw. This I am sure sets the absolute max fuel that the pump can deliver but under what conditions ?

Is this max fuel delivery then further controled by the boost compensation device ?

thanks roy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Spectric,
My MWM 4-cylinder turbo-diesels are also so equipped(Bosch VE), the same being the case for Dodge Ram trucks of a certain vintage fitted with 6-cylinder Cummins turbo-diesels.

At the time I did a search on GOOGLE (Dodge Ram etc) and found detailed adjustment info on the Bosch VE pump....should I locate the print-out in my files, will supply you with the site particulars.

Until then and if you have no luck, locate TST Products out in the US Midwest via GOOGLE. Their primary business is upping power output on Diesels, including Cummins 6 BTA´s. They could give you a lead on where to look for detailed adjustments to the Bosch VE...

Hi all

Thanks for the info, found on the site some info that clears up one of my issues.

It states that the LDA is a " boost controlled full load stop " which means that the max delivery of the pump as set by the max fuel screw only occurs under max boost conditions.

On the site there were some interesting diagrams but found the idea of a smoke adjusting screw a bit vague and it seemed to miss any technical explanations for the adjustments.

thanks Roy

The adjustments are sometimes intuitive and at other times purely empirical.

But they are time-tested and repeatable events and form the great mass of knowledge called "technology" in everyday parlance.

If warranted and economically justifiable, a cause-effect (scientific ?) explanation could be developed.

But having affirmed earlier that most issues were resolved excepting for max fuel delivery rate.....would have thought that the detailed pump workings on Dodge Ram should have prompted a successful "fill in the blanks".

And of course, there is another limit for max fuel delivery at zero boost pressure (turbo down), which allows for a "limp mode" engine with minimal smoke. I have experienced this and it works !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back