Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vechile Body FEM Model 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

burtek

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2007
DE
Hi all,

I have just started to structural analysis of vechile body and I need some advices:)
I have only a cad-geometry of the body before welding process therefore all the parts have the fillet area and most of the parts don`t contact each other. If I use this cad-geometry, unfortunately FEM software gives an Error in meshing process.
I think the simple way in order to overcome meshing problem; to hide all fillet process and to provide the connection of parts in cad-geometry.
My questions:
1- Is there another way without any change in cad-geometry?
2- How is the process of vechile body structure analysis in industry? e.g. is another suitable cad-gometry used?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Greg,

thanks,
element size is over 1000.
I tried to stitch a small group of parts of the vehicle body and analysed it but for the whole body it will takes too much time and i dont know the macro:-(

Regards

if I dont misunderstant, you want to know the size of vechile body:

2570mm width,
3225mm hight,
6530mm length,

or [ponder]
and if you can please tell me what you think, I can give more helpful information [thumbsup2]

Regards

what can you advice about vehicle body structure analyses (generally speaking)? can you please tell me a hint, literature, sample or whatever which will be help me about this subject? I have just started and you know that everything is very hard in the beginning:-(

Regards

I m new in industry. I have some FEM experiences and what I learned in my education.
I must obtain deformation and stress distribution under static loadind for new design of the vechile body.

Regards

Hi,
I would not go with auto meshing if this is a full vehicle. Actually I never recomment auto mesh unless you have a very good CAD at hand. Some geometries may not be perfect and your mesh will end up with missing parts, interfering parts etc. You can generate a weld file or a connector file for your weld locations and then realize the connectors to end up with any type of joint including spot weld - RBE2, ACM2 etc. Usually, spot welds are defined in CAD geometry and you can generate a macro (get support from your pre-processing software company at least)for fast realization of connectors. It is a very long story, but my recommendation is keep away from auto meshing especially if you are new to the industry. If timing is an issue, automesh partially. Midsurface generation may end up in a failure with poor CAD data.
Take care,
Mert

Product Development Services (cad/cae/test)
Medical Device R&D

in ansys how to troubleshoot
when working in workbench i get an error ansyswb module has stopped working !!
everytime i try opening anything this error pops up please help if anyone has had the same error before

From what i understand that he sais he is propably using Catia FEA. it only gives these two things.
And also the dimensions for the element are taken from the geometry and so most of the times really huge.
I think putting the geometry on Ansys Workbench should be the solution because it defines contacts by itself.
But this is not the correct solution.

PGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back