Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vehiculat Collision 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vooter

Structural
Dec 22, 2004
US
...which I have confused with impact loading.

I'm looking for an "equivalent static load" method to determine a load on a wall due to collision with a car, truck or other motorized land vehicle. There's a good method that FHWA/AASHTO has for *vessel* collisions with bridge piers, but I'm interested in coming up with a load that I could apply to the rear wall of a garage or a house near a highway or similar. The AASHTO LRFD manual has some information on "vehicular collision forces" (as opposed to "impact loads") but I couldn't use what they had since it seemed to apply mostly to railings.

Any assistance will be rewarded with my gratitude.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My friends,

Look what I found...

The final Google search string was ""impact duration" vehicle."

The road I went down (pun intended) prior to this amazing find, was to compute the kinetic energy of a vehicle at a low velocity (5 mph). I equated this to the strain energy, 1/2 F X delta, etc. I really didn't like the approach since I didn't feel comfortable about elastic deformations related to concrete resiliance, etc. (visions of concrete chips flying off the wall are playing in my head - how do I estimate, accurately, reasonably, the chipping forces? Is it really necessary?) I've had a little bit of blast analysis (enough to be dangerous, but not enough need to use it and hence I don't have the edge I need), but since the low-velocity collision isn't "instantaneous," I kept thinking that I was overdoing things.

I also found that AISC Design Guide 18 "Steel-Framed Open-Deck Parking Structures" cites the National Parking Association's recommendation of applying a 10 kip concentrated load 18 inches above the riding surface.

I agree with TFL. We've used the 6k @ 18" to design the vehicle barriers on several garages. I believe that when factored up it equals the AISC's 10k load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back