Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vent and drains in Hydorgen cross country pipe lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roopesh

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2003
IN
Is there any standards for vents and drains in Hydrogen for cross country pipe lines? Is there any restriction in provision? If so what is the governig factors/

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try the updated Nasa specs on hydrogen piping. Last time I checked ( 2 yrs ago), the only US design standard available was the Nasa document- it is very conservative. It was revised in year 2000 and renamed .

There are quite a few hydrogen pipelines running around SE Texas and S. Louisiana. All such pipelines must conform to U.S. D.O.T.'s Pipeline Safety Regulations Part 192 - Transportation of Natural and Other Gases by Pipeline (unless the lines are totally contained within private property, i.e. intra-plant lines and do not cross a public road). Although there are no specific requirements for vents and drains, there are spacing requirements for sectionalizing valves which prudent design would require venting cabability at each. To my knowledge, there are no drains on these pipelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back