Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vent header sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buchi

Chemical
Jan 23, 2002
NG
Hi all,

I am trying to perform a capacity check on an existing vent header. My largest venting load has been determined. Is there some sizing criteria that one can apply to ensure a suitable vent header size. I know that relief header considers the mach number and the rhov2 criteria in ensuring that it is not undersized. what are the criteria that applies to vent header?

cheers.

Buchi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Buchi,
For the Relief main headers, generally it is recommended to limit mach no to 0.5 for new plants. for revamp in some projects people go upto 0.7.
For Tail pipes of PSV discharge, we can go upto 0.9.

Buchi,

I have a doubt. Because of lack of detail and nomenclature confusion, I doubt the responders are answering properly. I know I am confused by your post and the responses.

In my experience, a header usually has a single source and multiple outlets (i.e. steam header) or multiple sources and a single outlet (i.e. vacuum header).

A tailpipe on a relief or vent unit usually has one inlet source and one outlet.

When I read your post, I am not 100% sure I know exactly what you have. Can you clarify?

Good luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back