Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ventilating Outlet of Flyash Mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jives

Mechanical
Oct 26, 2005
CA
On our site we have a pug-mill type mixer which is used to mix fine, dry fly-ash from coal-fired boilers with water.

The flyash and water is mixed into a coarse paste in the pug-mill and then dumps from the pug-mill into a haul-truck.

The pug-mill is supposed to be "dustless" in that no dust should come out of the bottom outlet of the pug-mill.

However, we do get a fair amount of fine dust leaving the pug-mill outlet and blowing away in the breeze.

I have an old baghouse and fan, I am wondering if I can set up a sort of collection hood on the square outlet of the pug-mill to collect the dust in my old baghouse / fan ?

Several consultants have said we should ventilate the feed-end of the pugmill, but I have my doubts that this will work, especially since dust will be driven out of the pugmill outlet by the mixer blades.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

Jonathan Ives
Project Engineer
Transalta, Alberta Thermal Plants
Duffield, Alberta

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fundemental to any dust extraction system is the capture velocity at the point of dust genertaion.You have to do a velocity profile for the hood arrangement and see whether it would have sufficient capture velocity at the outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back