Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ventilation design for a 25 meter indoor range

Status
Not open for further replies.

bundy

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2001
SG
Hi, all

I currently reviewing an indoor range ventilation design.
The consultant had proposed an supply/extraction system with and mixer box and dehumidifer system

I had another consultant which provide me, an supply and extraction system with an run around coil; heat recovery system.

Any comments and also is there a best practice/standard for ventilation in a indoor range.

I stay in a topical country, where ambient temp is 32C

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

25m I now noticed in your post... okay, must be shooting. If there are a lot of shooters, isn't there a lot of smoke from the guns? I don't see how air could really be returned when there is smoke to be removed. I think a good design would incorporate a piston-type flow, with supply air entering behind the firing line, drawn past the shooters, downstream to exhausts by the targets (or just above the targets, out of the line of fire). A little risky to use a heat recovery wheel as some odor or contaminants could be re-intruduced into the supply air.

The internet has some interesting information. Try "gun range design" in a search engine. The US Navy had one of the most informative sites.
After i designed a two lane gun range to meet all of the good engineering practices, the cost of the lanes was more than the cost of the building. So prepare for sticker shock and lots of VE.
You should filter the exhaust thru hepa filters to be a good neighbor.
You should have a uniform air velocity across the shooter, don't blow air on the back of their neck.
Anthing in a gun range will be hit by a bullet at some point in time. Don't put any critical component in the range.

hi,
The both designs had an extraction system at the bullet trap area fit with HEPA filter. I am just wondering how effective is the heat recovery method in of the the design.
Is here other design which i can make reference to ?
Will do a search on the internet too.
thanks

Excuse me if I am stating the obvious. One critical design component is the toxic lead fragments from the trap. As the bullet hits the trap, friction causes lead to become airborne. Follow the target manufactures instructions for proper ventilation of the traps.

chasbean1, the powder use in ammo is the smokeless type. I dont think black powder is used in indoor ranges.

Bundy, you have not stated the purpose of the ventilation system. Is it to reduce the humidity level, remove the air ladden w/ lead fume and dust or both?

The main purpose of the ventilation is to remove lead fume and dust at the bullet catcher area, and at the same time provide a control environment for the shooters.

Bundy,
Regarding the run around coil heat recovery system, it may or may not be an effective system for your design. With high air flow rates and large temperature differences from inside to outside, it can be a good investment. Lower airflow rates and increased distance between inlet and exhaust coils could produce a system that will never pay for itself. Ading two coils to your system plus a pump to circulate fluid will increase your energy costs. You have to make sure that the system will recover substantially more energy than it takes to operate and maintain to be able to pay for the intial cost. Another option may be to duct the two airstreams closer together and do some sort of air to air heat exchanger. This way you only have to exchange heat once rather than twice. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back