Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Venturi choke

Status
Not open for further replies.

triviaux_1

Petroleum
Nov 15, 2016
AE
Hello,

I m using multiphase flow meters to measure well production and in several cases I could not reach the well head pressure needed (even at fully open production choke) due to the choking cause by venturi of the multiphase flow meter

In order to select properly my venturi size and well head choke size and I m looking for the equivalent choke size of the venturi

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like a badly designed meter. Did you give the vendor all the correct parameters?

Different meters are better for different types of GOR.

Did you just use an existing meter or get them bespoke?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The meter manufacturer should be able to tell you the size of the orifice opening in the meter. This manufacturer list four sizes for their meters, which I assume are the orifice openings in the neck. Your production choke may be using reduced orifice trim that is no longer needed now that your well has been in production for a while. Your production choke may also not be opening fully. A simple trim change or servicing may solve your problems. If the meter is indeed the cause of the problem and not an undersized production choke as you speculate above, you may need to assess the cost of a new flow meter.

Gents,

Thank you for your feedback

Actually the well is flowing within the operating envelope of the multiphase meter no issue on that side and the pressure drop is not that high. My concern is the choking effect of the venturi indeed when we by pass the multiphase meter we reach a well head pressure of around 200 psi (choke fully open) however when we flow the well through the meter the minimum pressure at the well head is around 270 psi (choke fully open) we tried different size of multiphase meter with venturi of 50MM and 67MM same problem

So im wondering how can I estimate or calculate the choking effect of the venturi in order to avoid such problem in the future and select correct meter size

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back