Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vermont IDF curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsroy2

Civil/Environmental
Apr 12, 2005
US
Does anyone have an IDF curve for Burlington, Vermont or know where to find one? I have just spent a considerable amount of time online with no luck.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not only does the NOAA have this data, but it is free, readily available AND goes up to the 1,000-year event! This is news to me.

According to page 9-535 of the Pennsylvania Stormwater
Best Management Practices
Manual
DRAFT - JANUARY 2005

9.5 Precipitation Data for Stormwater Calculations
In 2004 the National Weather Service’s Hydrometeorological Design Studies Center published updated
precipitation estimates for much of the United States, including Pennsylvania. NOAA Atlas 14
supercedes previous precipitation estimates such as Technical Memorandum NWS Hydro 35 and
Technical Papers 40 and 49 (TP-40 and TP-49) because the updates are based on more recent and
expanded data, current statistical techniques, and enhanced spatial interpolation and mapping
procedures. (Bonnin et al., 2003 and NWS, 2004) The “Precipitation-Frequency Atlas of the United
States,” NOAA Atlas 14, provides estimates of 2-year through 1000-year storm events for durations
ranging from 5 minutes to 60 days as shown for Harrisburg in Table 9-2 (available online at http://
hdsc.nws.noaa.gov/hdsc/pfds/). Users can select precipitation estimates over
300 observation sites, by entering latitude/longitude coordinates, or by clicking on an interactive map
on the Precipitation Frequency Data Server.

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

Yes, I know about that web site. However, it doesn't give IDF curves. It gives rainfall totals per storm event for given storm durations. I need In/hr on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.

PennDOT has them for PA, try Vermont DOT?

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

Since you're asking about IDF data, I assume your regulations require the use of the Rational Method? If so, the regulations "should" include references for all necessary data.

Otherwise, you might try posting this in the Storm/Flood Engineering forum.

Hydraulics

The Hydraulics unit performs hydrologic and hydraulic analyses for the proper sizing of all bridges, culverts and other drainage facilities needed on state and local highways. This section also provides expert advice to any Agency unit in the areas of water hydraulic resources, scour analyses and drainage issues.

Michael J. Tuttle, P.E.
Hydraulic Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back