Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vertical liquid seal for flares

Status
Not open for further replies.

favi1985

Petroleum
Jun 3, 2014
AR
There is a 30" gas line from venting witch goes into a liquid seal before the flare.
The recomendation that i heard is that the liquid seal must be an horizontal one. But I need to design it vertical. Anyone knows if it could produce waves or other problems? I need to avoid pulsating flow. Does anyone know witch internals can I introduce in it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had to go look this up, but which part of the attached do you want to make vertical? The liquid face? This looks like a glorified U bend and unless you've discovered a way of making a liquid face vertical instead of horizontal, I don't think it's going to work....
My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

I want to design a vertical liquid seal as the link shows. In API 521 shows diferent types of liquid seals, and shows hozontal and vertical vessels. There is a reason wich for high diameters is suggested to use horizontal vessels, I suppose that is for preventing a pulsating flow in the stack. The fact is that I have a 30" line and I have to make it vertical in one way or another. I suppose that Perhaps anti-wave baffle arround the diffusser can help. But I´m not sure.
Have you worked in this devises before?
Thanks!

Why would you not use a detonation arrestor? Then you could have a vertical knockout vessel and the detonation arrestor before you went into the flare. That is a better design that requires much less maintenance. Just inspections and cleaning of the detonation arrestor.

Regards
StoneCold

StoneCold, I agree with you, but a liquid seal also pressurise the upstream line. That ensure that no air can get in so i wont have an explosive gas mixture.
The client asked as about installing a liquid seal, i can´t move from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back