Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vertical multi stage pump 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

soroush137r

Mechanical
Oct 4, 2012
IR
Dears:
please tell me what is main application vertical multi stage pump (vs6)?

Is there temperature limitation for this pump?

BEST REGARDS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At a guess, I would say it is to pump something like water, and yes - there will be atemp.limitation.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Some specifics what you are looking for would help. Per the attached link from Floserve, they can be used in a variety of services.

Applications: Acid Transfer, Catalytic Cracking, Condensate Extraction, Crude, Product and CO2 Pipeline, Dewatering and Water Supply (mining), Water Treatment, Hydrocracking, Hydrotreating, Industrial Gases, LNG, Snowmaking, Distillation (oil and gas)
Industries: Power Generation, Water Resources, Oil and Gas, General Industries, Mining, Chemical Processing

Flows to 3000 m3/h (13 200 gpm)
Heads to 2000 m (6560 ft)
Pressures to 200 bar (2900 psi)
Temperatures from -200°C (-328°F) to 350°C (660°F)

should cover a pretty wide range of applications.

Multi-stage vertical turbine pumps are commonly used in potable water systems for water wells and booster pumping stations.

The pumps used in water wells are deeply set vertical turbine pumps. Most of the well pumps I have designed had the bowls set between 200 and 400 feet below grade, but they can be shallower or deeper depending on depth to static groundwater and drawdown. The pumps can be driven by electric motors (top-mount or submersible), internal combusion engines (e.g. diesel for fire protection wells, natural gas or gasoline for other applications) or use a dual-drive system. I once retrofitted two well pumps for a local city by adding natural gas engines and a dual-drive gearhead so they could minimize energy costs. At the time, daytime electric cost more than natural gas, which cost more than nighttime electric. This also gave the city the ability to pump in the event of an electrical outage, though this was actually a secondary criterion because of existing system redundancies.

The pumps used in booster pumping stations are short-set vertical turbine pumps. Most of vertical turbine booster pumps I have designed had the bottom bowl set between 8 and 16 feet below grade. Again, this dimension is project dependent. In the sizes I have worked, multi-stage vertical turbine pumps are more efficient than the equivalent horizontal centrifugal pump. In addition, the footprint of a vertical turbine is much smaller in the bigger sizes. On the other hand, servicing the bowls of a vertical turbine pump requires lifting the pump, which in turn requires sufficient vertical space above the pump. For indoor pumps, this is usually handled by a high ceiling and a crane rail or roof hatches and an external crane. Serving is infrequent enough that I have always used the roof hatch method (I also had easy access for a crane…this is not always the case).

==========
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

Multi-Stage vertical pumps come in many sizes and from many manufactures. The vertical turbine is one type of application. Normally the Vertical multi stage pumps refers to a multi impeller pump in vertical configuration. The pumps selling features are that they have a small footprint. These pumps are mostly used for booster applications and work best with a pressurized or flooded suction. See the Goulds eSV or the Grunfos CR pumps for commerical applications. The type of applications and temperature limits are different for every manufacturer. If you provide more detail on your application, you can get better direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back