Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Vertical Reach disconnects 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLadewig

Electrical
Mar 27, 2002
US
I am investigating the possibility of using what someone calls a 'vertical reach' disconnect in a tight spot in a 230 yard. I would appreciate it if anyone could point me to any manufacturers of such a device, and also general information regarding the physical design.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you might mean "Vertical Break Disconnect
Switch".

I also think you mean "230 kV" for your switchyard
voltage.

You might try Siemens (Germany) at this URL:

eci_command=CoeeSiemensCategoryDisplay&catalogId=33&category
Id=2795&categoryList=2540%2C2786%
2C2791&sdc_rh=com.siemens.eutilities.cda.presentation.ECIReq
uestHook&sdc_flags=0&sdc_sectionid=3&sdc_secnavid=0&sdc_3dnv
lstid=&sdc_sid=13550226656&sdc_countryid=0&sdc_mpid=27&sdc_u
nitid=999&sdc_contentid=1000000000003&sdc_langid=1&sdc_m4r=

I'm in Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Everything I've seen for "pantograph" ( seems different enough from "vertical-break" ( that I think my confusion is probably understandable.

Thanks in a roundabout way to sphincterboy's post, I now have enough information to know what questions to ask for the next step. And of course I'll know now to specify *kv* so that no one thinks I'm asking about switches for my Duracell-powered 230 Volt switchyard :)

Maybe I've got it wrong, then. I took a quick look at the switch on the Shengao site and it looked like a vertical break switch rotated 90 degrees so it is mounted vertically instead of horizontally.

BLadewig,
Are you satisfied. I add further infor here.
Pantograph disconnector is one type.
The other type is known as verticle break. In this one, the blade moves to 90 verticle (open) from the horizontal (closed) position from close to open position. When it is closing it reaches verticle.
ABB has, for example, complete range. You can contact them.

BLadewig,
Are you now satisfied? I add further info. here.
Pantograph disconnector is one type.

The other type is known as verticle break. In this one, the blade moves to 90 degrees verticle (open) from the horizontal (closed) position during opening operation.
ABB has, for example, complete range. You can contact them.

This has all been very helpful, thanks. I was already familiar with vertical break switches, but someone had recommended something called a 'vertical reach' switch for a limited-space application. Thanks to sphincterboy I discovered that this device is called a pantograph switch.

I think all I need now is a resource for any unusual O&M issues that might exist for pantograph devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back