Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vertical Turbine Pump Base Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxla

Mechanical
Aug 22, 2003
CA
We are replacing an existing old vertical turbine pump with a new one. Unfortunately, the new pump bolting dimensions (24" centre of bolt to centre of bolt,total of 4 bolts) are larger than the existing pump bolt dimensions (18" centre to centre).

The existing concrete pad is 22"x22"x24"high. Has anyone designed something similar, a steel pump base to mount on top of the concrete pad to accommodate the new pump bolt dimensions of 24" centre to centre? I was planning to design the 26"x26" steel base with HSS and 3/4" plate and make it quite heavy. The base would then be bolted to the concrete pad with the existing pump anchors(18" centres, 4 bolts). Is vibration an issue?
The pump is for a sump, 360 gpm at 19 ft TDH, 5 HP.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For 5 hp, I'd say you're OK with that.
If you have vibration problems its not going to be caused by a long span of a skinny plate.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Sounds to me like you need to grout the new adapter plate as well as bolting it down. Looking at something in the "Chockfast" range of grouts would be my recommendation. HTH.

No. Masonry grout would be perfectly fine for a 5 HP unit, if you want to use any grout at all.

I wouldn't even think about using epoxy grout for anything less than 500 HP.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Agreed..masonry grout should be enough as it seems to be a fairly small unit..i noticed steel plates on all the vertical pump concrete pads where i work and vibration has never been an issue regarding the plates. The only problem is, since we pump sea water, the steel plates are susceptible to corrosion and overtime the pump begins sitting unevely on it..if you pumpage is salt water, it is something to consider.

Impeller1,

You could use an epoxy based paint on your skid and baseplate steel if you're pumping seawater. Maybe you should be using salt resisting concrete and epoxy coated reinforcement bars too.

BigInch,

Thanks for the advice..unfortunately I found them like that when I started working there..however some of the baseplates do need replacing so i will keep that in mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back