Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vertical turbine pumps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuzent

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2005
QA
Hi All,
I just graduated, and my experience is minimal. I was good in school and I do work hard, but still fresh off the boat, and school is nothing like work.

I got my first permanent job and I was assigned to do bid evaluations for vertical turbine pumps. I google alot of my queries, and I came across this website, and I already love it.

Does anyone have any useful resources or tips to get to know pump work & terminologies quickly. I have already looked at the common google-able websites.
I need to know stuff about impeller balancing (static / dynamic), pump performance curves, NPSHr and NPSHa calculations, seals and glands.

Thanks for reading.

Abu-Zent

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

since your in the pump business, perhaps the oil, gas, & chemical industries stds may be of interest: api-610, hydraulic institute, ansi b73.2 (?), cameron hydraulic handbook (offered by flowserve), the pump handbook, etc.

good luck! and enjoy . . .
-pmover

Thanks for your posts guys... There is alot of info and not enough time to do everything, but i'll manage.

Thanks for your references everyone (The pump handbook is soo good to have.)

if you have any general (but useful !) tips for a new grad in a large cooperation that you think will help, then post!

Thanks

Abu-Zent

my tip for people in large "cooperations" is to proofread ;-)

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

You need to find a (or some) pump rep(s). who are willing to spend some time with you educating you to 'the ways of pumps.'

Listen with the point of view that they are all trying to promote the features of their particular pumps, but remember that pumps weren't invented yesterday, and there are few secrets out there.

They all pretty much do what they do the same way. Everybody has some gimmick that he/she will claim makes his/her product superior, but there isn't much basic difference out there.

A good rep (of any kind) will jump at the chance to educate a young grad, as it could pay dividends to him/her down the road. Both parties benefit.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back