Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vertical Valve and Actuator 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzy47

Structural
Feb 22, 2013
US
Hello,

First time in here. I'm an entry level structural EIT, and know little about mechanical as of yet, so bear with me :).

I have been presented with a ball valve (3 piece PetrolValves reduced bore metal to metal seal trunnion mounted) installed in the middle of a pipe in the vertical position. It is supposed to have an electro hydraulic actuator (custom...but along the lines of Rotork single acting fail close) attached to the side of the valve and sort of cantilever hanging off in space. This actuator is 520 lbs, and I am tasked with finding a way to support it since it is just hanging off the valve. I have been googling ball valves and actuators and can't find any pictures of them installed vertically...is this an issue? I have only seen them attached to the valves (in the horizontal) and other than that free standing...what is the typical way one of these would be supported in the industry? It is all on top of a steel grating platform...my coworker says at the base supports often have 2 plates sandwhiched on either side of the grating with bolts going through them.

The other thing is I don't have much room...there is a large horizontal pipe (looks like 20" pipe from the 3d model I saw) going across right under where the actuator is hanging in space (with maybe 6" clearance in between?). There are also a large mechanical box and a W column sort of catty-corner behind it a few feet behind and to the side. Do they usually install these vertically? Ideas on how to provide additional support?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, I will attempt to post one in an hour or two. The engineer who assigned this to me asked me not to open the 3d model because it is a "sensitive" file and he seems to think it will explode if I touch it haha. I will see if I can get him to give me a 3D PDF from which I can get a good close up screen shot of the area in question. I do know the valve, actuator, etc. are on a 2" vertical pipe...seems like a lot of moment from that huge actuator on a poor little pipe like that.

Ok... sorry about all the things in the way (can't really hide obstructions in a 3D PDF that I know of), but hopefully this is enough different angles you can see that the actuator is not supported and just sort of hanging off the valve. The actuator is red, and I circled the valve/pipe in question. I also put a red line down all the pipe that is connected so you can more clearly see what's attached to what and what isn't (hopefully). The last picture will be approx. what the actuator will look like (although this one has an additional box attached). When it was drawn it was only representative as we just received the specs, so it may not be the exact size in the model as it will be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b0abe25e-a194-4262-8024-9fd716ecff47&file=situation.GIF
Ok it's not letting me post any more photos for some reason. Unless it just posted it all 3 times and my internet is being dumb.

getfile.aspx

getfile.aspx

getfile.aspx

getfile.aspx

Hello,

As can be seen in the picture above, the piping section in question is U shaped, and the upper horizonal pipe appears to be supported by 2 L Shaped wide flange frames with 2 EA u bolts going around the pipe. The vertical part itself with the valve and the actuator brances off of the 12" pipe with a 2" weldolet at the base. This may become a 3" weldolet followed by a 2" reducer if it adds any significant support. I am not too privvy to the mechanical details as I am a new entry level structural and all they threw me was this 3D PDF, but my best guess is yes, there is potential for thermal expansion. I hope I communicated all of that in a way which makes sense.

Thank you

It looks like there is a large beam underneath. Maybe you can support it with that? You say there is a 20" pipe under it. Maybe you can support it with that? If it's a 2" pipe tee-ing vertically off of a 12" pipe, maybe you can support the actuator with the 12" pipe. There is a vertical beam with a short cantilevered beam which doesn't appear to have much attached to it. Maybe you can support the actuator from that.

Whatever you do, the older engineers will probably shoot down your idea and then spend more time lecturing you on what they would do that the amount of time it would have taken them to have done it in the first place.

I would say they expect something simple that is not in the way of any walkway or other necessary access, such as a valve handle. Yes, putting plates on top & bottom of floor grating, with bolts through, is done. You want to watch out for creating a tripping hazard.

Check the actuator to see if there are any obvious attachment points you can bolt to. Some people just sit them on a little saddle, if there is not much vibration.

520 lb. is not a whole lot to support with, say, a piece of 1" pipe column up underneath it. Or 1-1/2" SQ. tubing, 10 GA or 3/16" wall.

The following is my recommendation;
- What you show in the photos suggests you will have a real problem if you leave it as is.
- You need to rotate the valve operator 90 degrees clockwise so the operator is directly above the "host" pipe (blue horizontal line). Raise the valve if necessary.
- Next you need to support the valve operator from the "host" pipe. This will allow the support and the valve operator to move together.
- Then you need to remove the two structural steel supports. The steel will not move but the pipe will. These supports currently present a risk of ripping the small bypass line off when the bigger "Host" line expands or contracts.
- You do not need the supports for this small line but you may need a stabilizer to prevent damage due to vibration. This stabilizer needs to be tied directly back to the "Host" line so that it moves lineally with the "Host" pipe

prognosis: Lead or Lag

Pennpiper has a sound proposition under the condition that the valve and actuator forms a solid, compact unit. Another way to attach the problem is to mount actuator and valve together in best possible position (re pennpiper), then mount both locked in position as a unit on a common 'footplate'.

The 'footplate' could be anything from a plate to a framework, or a single, more simple contraption, part of a beam etc. The idea of the 'footplate' is to take all weight and forces away from the pipeline, and then support the footplate as suitable to existing framework.

Further the 'footplate' will give you a higher degree af freedom where to select and place support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back