Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Vertically Mounted PT's in ME switchgear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosesnbklyn

Electrical
Jun 8, 2010
US
Anyone seen this before? I can't find a code reference but I can't confirm the OEM approves either. They are cast coil GE PTG5 2-fuse type.

Matt

M. Nissen,P.E.
Senior Electrical Engineer
Waldron Engineering & Construction

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have a specific concern? mounting orientation will have no effect on the PT itself. I'd contact GE (or whomever it is today) if you want to be sure.

Are these fixed units or draw out? What voltage class? If horizontally vertically mounted, how are the VT's removed from the circuit for inspection, test or maintenance?

All 15kV fixed mounted. Original design had bolted covers for access, with the PTs mounted behind a load-break switch. Ideally they would be in a separate compartment, with a hinged access door. The LBS cubicle is very narrow. Not sure draw-out design is possible with metal-enclosed gear - standards dont seem to address some of these details. I would be comfortable with a wider design LBS cubicle accomodating horizontally mounted PT's, even if they are on 2 elevations.

57538_-_15kV_ME_SWGR_zzheif.jpg

Matt Nissen, P.E.
IEEE Senior Member

Official response from GE: these PTs can be mounted in a vertical position as long as there is NO vibration. Probably not behind an LBS!

Matt Nissen, P.E.
IEEE Senior Member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back