Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very fast linear actuator 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmoey212

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2012
US
I am working on a project that requires moving a 100mm long and <.5mm diameter pin a specific distance in a straight line. I want to move the pin in and out as fast as possible and accurate to less than .05 mm. The device needs to be as small as possible. The stepper linear actuators on the market appeared to be a good option but they look too slow and expensive. I was looking into using the electromagnet from a speaker, but I am not sure how to calculate the speed and accuracy of the push/pull. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How far do you have to move it?

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Quantify!

How far is a "specific distance"?

How fast is "as fast as possible"?

How much better than .05 mm positional accuracy do you need? Do you need it on both ends of the stroke?

How small is "as small as possible"?

How do you expect to make a decision or get any advice if you can't clearly express what you need?

I need the stroke length to be approximately 75mm and I would like the push/pull to occur at least 3-4 times per second. I looked into the micromo linear servomotors. Does anyone have experience with these? I need the pin to accurately move in one direction and come back to the same starting point. I would like the actuator to be less than 50mm x 50mm x 50 mm. Thanks for all the responses.

I need the actuator to be around 50 mm in size but the shaft or pin to have a 75 mm stroke. I'm sorry for the confusion. I am new to actuators and the like.

MintJulep said:
Sanity check:

How can something that is 50 mm in size achieve a 75 mm stroke?
Just a cool counterpoint: The KATAKA Linear Actuator

But in general, shmoey212, you can't store five feet of arm length in a space less than five feet.

"Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems." -Scott Adams

Small DC motor with gear attached driving a rack attached to the pin.
Servo controlled or open loop controlled with encoders for position.

What's wrong with a pneumatic or hydraulic cylinder?

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back