Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Very slow save times

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbtruckers

Computer
Jan 23, 2008
US
I have a drawing file roughly 53MB in size that takes around 30 minutes to save over our company's network. After running some tests, our IT department seems to think the issue lies within SolidWorks and how it save files as opposed to our network. It's not just that file giving the CAD department headaches - all files are taking way too long to save. Obviously, the half hour ones are getting the most attention.

I there anything I can do to decrease these save times? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Update: My IT guy ran some extensive tests on my workstation and is convinced something within SW is causing the slow save times. He just can't pinpoint what it is.

Once again, any help is appreciated.

dbtruckers,

53MB is not enormous. Look for helices, and very large patterns. Downloading fasteners from McMaster Carr is a great to to add helices to your model.

--
JHG

I am saving 300+MB part files (imported surface data yuck!!) and it takes maybe minute or less. I am also using PDM Standard. If you are saving over the network, try saving locally. I am willing to bet its your network.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

There are a couple guys were I work that like to work over the network because of the daily backup. They always take longer to save and crash more often then the rest of us who only work locally and get backed up weekly. It may not be the network but it might be the way SW saves over the network.

That doesn't make its SW fault. Its the network causing the problem. When a file is saved over the network it has to talk to the server and do this back and forth over and over again through the network. At any time the data could be lost or it might simply lose its connection to the file. When that happens SW crashes and will most likely cause file corruption. You might not see corruption in the file right away, but over time it will occur and the more your users working over the network encounter these crashes the more likely you will see file corruption. Working over the network will definitely cause long save\open times at the very least. All companies should implement some sort of PDM even if its a cloud based PDM. Its better than nothing. Then you don't have to worry about getting backed up. Your files are always safe on the Server with a backup done when IT has it scheduled, or if its cloud I am sure its some where.

PDM allows you to work locally versus over the network, even though the file is on the server. Its strange how it works, but its awesome to actually use your machines power versus relying on the bus speed of your network to control how fast you save or open files.

Here is a decent blog on working locally or over the network. Its much older blog (2014) before PDM was main stream, but it shows working locally is far better of a way, but PDM is the best and safest way to work.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I guess we're starting to see the effect of these file corruptions now. We've been saving our SW files over the network for years without incredibly long save times. Our IT department is looking into PDM.

Solidworks PDM Standard is "free" if you have Professional or Premium seats. It will probably cost some money up front to get your VAR to come out and help configure and set the system up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back