Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very small rivets…

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsdannytaylor

Industrial
Aug 27, 2014
GB
Hi guys,

This is possibly the wrong place to post such a question, but the result will inform some flight sim instruments that I'm making, so it's sort of relevant!

I want to use a metal pointer on an airspeed indicator as I think the plastic ones that many companies provide are a bit toy-like. I've got hold of a real instrument needle from a crashed Israeli F4 and it appears to use a very small rivet that push fits onto a tapered shaft. The lumen that pushes onto the shaft is approximately 0.9mm – has anyone got any idea as to where one can acquire such a small rivet? I don't mind buying a few as I have a whole cockpit that I want to build! I'm planning on using an air core movement with a 1mm shaft.

getfile.aspx

getfile.aspx

Any help would be greatly appreciated – I'm pulling my hair out over this…

Thanks!
Dan.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since the part you want has a hole in the center, it might better be described as a hub or an eyelet.

A tapered push fit requires a fair degree of precision, so the part in hand might be unique to whoever made the instrument. ... or else there's one guy in the world who makes them, and he doesn't need to advertise to the general public. If so, I couldn't find him.

I could not find a supplier of 'instrument pointer hubs', but lots of sources for complete instruments. This one caught my attention: I have no affiliation with them.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back