Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vessel Relief Valve Inlet Piping Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrudhoeBayAK

Chemical
Mar 14, 2002
US
Looking over ASME BPV Section VIII Div 1 UG-135 I am slightly confused.

If I have 2 50% capacity relief valves protecting the vessel (i.e. both combined as 1 level of overpressure protection), each with 2" inlets, can I use a common 2" supply piping run?

Subpart (c) seems to imply the cross sectional area of each PSV inlet must be added, and used to calculate the NPS of the inlet line. Or, is it more an issue of the combined area of the API orifice size of the relief valves?

Is it ever ok to have a reducer in the discharge piping of a PSV?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In looking at UG-135, I would say you have to take the area of the PSV inlet(s) (not the orifice) and have the supply line at least equal to the sum of the 2 PSV inlet area. So, if you have 2" by 3" PSVs, you need at the very least a 3" supply header AND ensure that the pressure drop through that 3" header is no more than 3% of the PSV set point (unless you are using a remote sensing line for pilot operated valves).

Reducers on the discharge are fine if they are going larger :). Regardless if you calculations show that the PSV capacity isn't impacted by a reducer going down in size on the discharge, I bet you'd have problems getting it approved by everyone.

Please refer to ASME SecVIII Div1 Appendix M. Also NBIC RB-3500 Always read the entire paragraph in the Code. Your answer is there.
Check with your AIA,Insurance Inspector or Jurisdiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back