Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vessel Skirt Design 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabianoRosa

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2006
BR
I'm having trouble to define the required thickness of a vertical vessel skirt. I didn't find anything at ASME VIII Div I and the analisys seems to be very complicated without a FEM program.

The stress analisys is easy and can be made considering the bending moment and compressible loads. My problem is to deal with the buckling which seems to be the limitating factor.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fabiano-

You're on the right track. Though Section VIII does not deal with support design, it is common to determine the compressive stress due to weight and bending and use Section VIII allowable longitudinal compressive stresses as the acceptance criteria. See VIII-1 UG-23(b).

jt

When I designed vessels many, many years ago, the book "Process Equipment Design" by Brownell and Young was the "bible" for skirt design. It has formulas for the skirt, the base ring, the bolting chairs etc etc. Computers in those days filled whole rooms, cost a fortune to run, and the engineer had to get all his data punched on cards. Much faster to do it with a good reference than to try and justify a computer run.

PS if I designed more than a vessel a decade these days, I would of course have a computer based design program.

[xmastree]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back