Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vessel thickness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemeng1357

Chemical
Oct 12, 2006
Hi
I will be pleased if you give me rule of thumb for
pressure vessel thickness calculation.
thanks for replyes

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's an awfully vague request. If you're figuring lifting weights or shipping weights or something of the sort, you really need more specific data.

For relatively thin cylinders, approximately, t=PR/SE +CA, where P is internal pressure, R is radius, SE is allowable stress times joint efficiency, CA is corrosion allowance, with all units consistent. Typical values of SE might range from 12,000-20,000 PSI; CA perhaps 1/8". Thickness would normally be 1/4" or so minimum. These numbers could vary widely, though, depending on the application.

Before you go off and build the vessel, please be advised that pressure vessel thickness calculations, fabrication procedures, etc are governed by authroized pressure vessel design codes and you should have a reputable organization design and fab these- typical codes are the ASME and EU PED.

Checkout if you are looking for an approximate thickness. You can download their spreadsheets for Shell, Heads, Nozzles. If you are looking to a formal set of calculations, you would be wise to heed davefitz's recommendation.

chemeng..

Why don't you just ask a structural engineer for a beam depth without any other information ?

Chem, before anymore time or keystrokes are wasted...are you an engineer and, if so, what country are you from ?

My opinion only

MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back