Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

VFD cable and compression lugs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBr

Electrical
Sep 29, 2004
US
Is VFD cable requiring special compression lugs?

In our application we are using 500 MCM VFD cable, Lutze A2205003.

Link

We intended to use compression lugs 500 MCM compression lugs, Punduit LCA500-1-6 with this cable:

Link

However, when conductor is stripped from isolation fine strands fan out and won't fit inside of compression lug. Are there special compression lugs required for fine strand conductors? Maybe there are some tricks how to make it fit. Please, share your experience.

PaulBr.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

3800 strands? I doubt that you will get that into a 500 MCM lug.
I fought with locomotive cables. Much less than 3800 strands but similar flaring.
I used a small Aero type hose clamp to contain the strands.
I left about 1/8 inch of the strands protruding to start into the lug.
Once the strands were started into the lug, the hose clamp was loosened slightly so that the lug could be tapped further onto the cable.
Then the hose clamp was removed and the lug tapped all the way onto the cable.
But:
I was using set screw type lugs.
I needed to use an oversized lug.
If you have to use a 750 MCM lug you will have approvals issues compressing it with a 500 MCM die.
Suggestions:
Ask Lutze for recommendations for lugs.
or
Go to set screw type lugs.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Yes, there are special lugs AND DIES for what is referred to as “Class K stranding” of conductors. You cannot use standard compression lugs or dies. The cable mfr would have done you a favor to mention that in their specifications, I guess they don’t care....

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Here is a nice discussion in general using mechanical lugs on flex wire,

Here is one source for properly rated compression lugs,

And from Panduit,

The proper lugs and info are out there, but there are still some gray areas, like for Class K wire, if it is listed as "Class K "flex" wire" instead of Class K MTW/welding wire/battery wire then technically it is only permitted by "specific additional testing". Take a quick look here,

When dealing with fine strand cable I start to strip off the insulation, move it away for the cable far enough to use a tie wrap around the strands, then as I remove the insulation I keep pushing the tie wrap up close to the end, insert the cable in the lug, then as the cable goes in I cut the tie wrap, goes fast and other than wasting a few tie wraps, has worked well for me over the years.

Hope that helps, MikeL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back