Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

VFD for a 100 Amps, 1500 Hz application 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

edison123

Electrical
Oct 23, 2002
IN
Not strictly a motor question, more of a VFD question.

I need to test a multi-turn 3 phase inductor with a copper cross-section of 30 sq mm at 100 Amps, 1500 Hz. It will be a continuous test for a month. The input source will be 3 ph, 415 V, 50 Hz.

Can standard motor VFD's output this high frequency of 1500 Hz? Or I need a custom built VFD for 1500 Hz?

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Muthu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As I know there are some models that may used.
Control Techniques up to 1.5kHz, KEB up to 1.6kHz, Lust up to 4kHz.
Need to check output current derating vs output frequency for each model.
If no need for real 120º shift between voltages I think it's cheaper to make a dedicated single phase voltage source 1.5kHz/100A.

Hi Muthu.

Danfoss-Vacon NXP drives with special firmware, they say, can reach 7500Hz.

What do you need 1500Hz in this 3 phase inductor for? A special application?

Remember that the voltage will not be sinusoidal - it's PWM and probably quite a low PWM frequency to obtain the 1500Hz fundamental frequency required. Therefore the current waveform will be quite distorted. You may require a PWM filter on the output to smooth that depending on the inductor's application?

Thanks, iop95. The client needs all 3 phases tested together. Will check with CT. Lust?

Hi David. Yes, it's a special application and I don't have the full details, only the inductor design. Will check with Danfoss. Thanks.

Since standard VFD is out, any idea how much these special VFD's cost?

Muthu

Are there any special considerations needed since the VFD will be driving a load with approximately zero power factor? I am asking because mechanical devices like breakers and switches need special designs to switch extremely low power factor devices like inductors and capacitors. Although unloaded motors have low power factor, unloaded motors still have significantly higher power factor than an inductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back