Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

VFD Shaking Loads and Regenerative Braking

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchusMaximus

Electrical
Jan 25, 2023
CA
I have another question regarding brake resistors. I understand the theory and application of using a brake resistor to quickly stop a high-inertia load and protect the drive from tripping due to overvoltage reasonably enough. But I am wondering how one would spec a brake resistor for a shaking load to prevent the electrical regeneration from tripping the drive. In this case the load is turning throughout the operation, but in normal operation I believe the momentum of the load applies regeneration back to the drive frequently. The example I am currently helping with is a paddy table for grain cleaning (see here for a paddy table example).
For example, with a 5HP motor running at 1050RPM, if I applied a braking resistor to the VFD what kind of duty cycle would it need to be sized for to ensure it doesn't burst into flames? 50% seems a bit overkill, and I'm just not familiar enough with the mechanics to work out what percentage of time on a single cycle would be causing regeneration back to the drive.
Any advice you have is appreciated, I would love to understand how to deal with vibrating loads like this, especially because my region deals with a lot of agriculture.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the cost and packaging difference between a 25% and 50% rated resistor? At only 5hp you may find those differences to be trivial. May as well size for the worst case.

That link looks like an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Shakers are designed to be mechanically resonant at a fixed frequency so that little energy is consumed in in an empty machine. Energy is absorbed by the material in the machine, not the reciprocating mass of the machine itself. The purpose of a VFD on such a machine is to tune the drive motor to the resonant frequency of the machine, which can change with load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back