Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

VFD with a 3600 RPM motor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnieE

Electrical
Feb 13, 2003
US
I have always used VFD with 1800 RPM base speed motors. Now I have an application where I want to apply a VFD to a 3600 RPM base speed motor. Is there any problem with using a VFD on a 3600 RPM motor and running at 60HZ or less?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JohnnieE: What kind of motor you will use?
TENV, TEFC etc.?
What are the cycles of work? as an example: 10 min work, 10 min rest or 10 min work 30 min rest? specify
What is the average freq. of work period?
What is the type of work? A pump, a mill, a hoist, a trolley? what type. Indicate

Suggestion: It would be prudent to go by the second posting requests on the original posting elaboration. I just would add the following question:
Do you intend to use a small fan motor for the VFD motor low speed cooling?

Thanks for the help, some additional details are It is a 5HP motor, OPD housing, duty cycle would be 8 minutes on, 2 minutes off, nornmally running at 60HZ with the VFD being mainly used for acceleration and deceleration control with some occasional slow speed running, perhaps for 5 minutes every 6-8 hours. The machine is a wire rewinder. Cycle is Start, 6 second acceleration, 7-8 minutes run at full HZ, followed by a 45 second deceleration, 2 minute wait and then repeat

JohnieE, there is no problem with VFD + 2pole motor (3600RPM), if you will run it between 25 - 50Hz. If you will go down, be carefull about overtemperature of the motor. If you will go up, the bearings lifetime will be shorter.

If this motor is lightly loaded than 20 to 60 Hz is okay. Under 20 Hz and lightly load you could remove some "DC boost" and change the v/Hz ratio, in turn reducing the unneeded motor flux that generates extra heat. Reduce till the current starts to increase then back up some. A seperate blower mtr could be used at lower speeds or I've installed dry mill-air in the end bells( only at low speeds).
A inverter duty motor is (some are)dyn. balanced to 4000 rpm and one frame up could get you to 4600 rpm,and with the manufactures blessings. If you are using a sensor-less vfd, then your speed can drift with the load change. A 1024 ppr encoder on the mtr could be great asset for quality control at all speeds.

JohnnieE: You can select a Yaskawa VFD. This kind of inverter will suit to your aplication very good. you can select a decelaration ramp from 1 to 60 sec and up.
Motor must be equiped with a fan (TEFC Motor Type) or if possible attach a separated fan blower.

Suggestion. The machine rewinder may use the low rpm motor mode. Therefore, the motor temperature at low rpm should not be overlooked, and cooling properly engineered and designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back