Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Vibration Analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldmandm

Agricultural
Dec 30, 1999
US
Anyone have any suggestions for someone who wants to learn about vibration analysis from zip? I've been looking over some books on the topic and talking with equipment vendors, but anyone have any ideas beyond that or have any favorites that should be on my to-check list?<br>
thx <A HREF="mailto:goldmandm@phibred.com">goldmandm@phibred.com</A>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I've been a mechanical engineer for 18 years and still have much to learn about vibration!&nbsp;&nbsp;The topic involves understanding &quot;forces,&quot; &quot;stiffness,&quot; &quot;damping,&quot; and &quot;time.&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;These quantities can be mechanical, electrical, thermal (without stiffness), chemical and many others.&nbsp;&nbsp;From a mechanical viewpoint, the basics start with classical physics.&nbsp;&nbsp;Guitar strings and wind pipes give you the &quot;feel.&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;Dynamic rotation of machines is the most common application of vibration analysis.&nbsp;&nbsp;Unbalanced car tires provide another good &quot;feel&quot; for the study.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Many good texts exist on this topic - I would start with a physics text book.&nbsp;&nbsp;An understanding of calculus is required to move on to more detailed studies.&nbsp;&nbsp;This can also be gained from basic text books.&nbsp;&nbsp;The next level of study can be obtained from college level texts - search for vibration at Amazon.com.&nbsp;&nbsp;That will get you some good titles.&nbsp;&nbsp;I use &quot;Physics, Parts 1 & 2,&quot; Halliday and Resnick (Wiley), &quot;A first course in Differential Equations with Applications,&quot; Zill (Prindle, Weber & Schmidt) and &quot;Mechanisms and Dynamics of Machinery,&quot; Mabie and Ocvirk (Wiley).&nbsp;&nbsp;I perform vibration analysis using finite element analysis software - Go to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> for an example of a good vibration analysis tool.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Good luck - An understanding of vibration phenomena is valuable - It also leads to an understanding of shock which is applicable to many other pursuits.

A good post. I would like to add that if you are so inclined, seek out an understanding of ac electronics. You can learn most of it with a trig level of understanding, and most of the principles of vibration are the same. (harmonics, frequency domain to time domain conversions, the test equipment, etc.) And besides, you need to have someone around who understands ac electronics in order to measure vibration properly, anyway. It is best if you (as an engineer) understand how the data is produced to verify your calculations. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back