Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vibration Damping Compound 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADAG

Mechanical
Aug 8, 2003
PA
Hello, I am looking for a vibration damping compound to be used to fill a 1" gap between a concrete dynamometer base and the surrounding floor slab. Any ideas on a product for this application?

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I need to fill the 1" gap to isolate vibrations, reduce noise and protect the floor slab. This is an old installation, there used to some sort of elastomeric material in this gap, it has however dissapeared with the years and the gap is now full of dirt and debris. The contact material would be concrete on both sides. I guess there should be some sort of silicone-like product that may be inyected in the gap. The material must be oil resistant.

what about the joint compound used for expansion joints on large structures like bridges?

For example
Google turns up a lot of hits.

----------------------------------
image.php

Sometimes I wake up Grumpy.
Other times I just let her sleep!

This could be costly but it depends on your level of protection
Heckler [americanflag]
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Avoid the base hypocrisy of condemning in one man what you pass over in silence when committed by another." -- Theodore Roosevelt

A castable urethane would be the ticket. There is a little problem though with the environment, the gas and oil. Urethane doesn't like either one. I would contact the Devcon technical staff and get their opinion and any possible workaround. There might be some coating or additive that would protect the Urethane.

We used the Devcon materials to isolate some large fan motors

No physical material will provide better isolation (reduced vibration transmission) than a gap (ie, things not touching each other).

What do you really need to do?

I know many large diesel engines use a compound called Chockfast ( i think the spelling is correct)for alignment and vibration damping. It will be resistant to oil and diesel , as it is generally located in the bilge area.

I agree with MintJuep, clean out the gap and install a flexible joint cover to keep stuff out of the joint. There may be a reason the original joint material is gone; it shouldn't have been there.

Ted

Urethane is like a spring.

Tar-like compounds or tapes are good damping media. The remaining problem is how you keep the slab from settling in time. Two grades of asphaltic material: one generally dispersed and the other harder like feet to arrest rapid settling.

I think I will agree with MintJulep and hydtools that the best is to simply clean the gap and leave it empty. I would think tar is too rigid.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

About all that can be reliably gained with a separate foundation resting on soil is the separate foundation can be thicker and proper width and length. This can be very important.

"Isolating" without genuine isolation (flexible, not bottomed out) materials all round is real chancy. Heroically deep trenches cut around vibrating machinery sadly often provide no signicant reduction in transmitted vibration

Hello ADAG,

We use Chockfast Orange as a filler material.
You can get Chockfast in several different types
It's a product from: ITW Philadelphia Resins

Look at

Choose your type

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back