Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vibration-Proof Fastener 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mloew

Automotive
Apr 3, 2002
US
I just saw an advertisement for Permanent Technologies, Inc. Permanentech Vibration-Proof Fastener. Any opinions on this? How should this technology compare to Huck fastening systems?

The advertisement and information on this product can be found at:

I see how it works, I would just like to know what others think about it. Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A similar system to this was used on critical assemblies in large dia fasteners a while back. (50's-60's) They used a wire like device in the nut to prevent backing off by locking into the threads of the bolt therby preventing ANY removal and they had NO removal tool. I take exception to the statement they make about "---obsoletes all industrial fasteners---". I can think of several applications in automotive, aerospace and , industrial where this system would not be viable. That aside, I rather like the system from a technical point of view but, is it economically competitive?

Rod

I have tested this product and it does not work. When exposed to severe vibrations the insert ring (with the hooks) starts to slide towards the nut. Same locking result as for nylon insert nut or Metlock.

Good morning Matthew;

I find your post interesting especially since I was looking at the Permanentech Nut system during the last quarter of 2002 comparing it to some other thread locking mechanisms. Check out or for another locking nut system you might find of interest.

I have to agree with cim94sm3 that the Permanentech does not work that well with severe vibration on the Junkers test. It is also highly susceptible to loosening with temperature extremes if you do not match the COE of its material with the mating material.

We felt that the 'special tool' to remove it was a negative also.

Evilrod had the best viewpoint - is it economically competitive? In a word no. None of the new thread locking 'systems' are (yet). I am sure as they are developed further, they will be.

fastech

Bill P.
CSFT, Inc.

Could somebody point me to the Junkers test? I would like to perform this test as a production qualification but am not sure of the requirements for the fixture. Is ASTM F606-2 the right doc?

Regards,
Mike S.

I am not sure that the Junkers test has been officially incorporated into a standard. ASTM F 606 does not cover fatigue or vibration loading of fasteners.

I agree with TVP. The Junker test procedure is described in his article "New criteria for self-loosening of fasteners under vibration", SAE Transactions, (1969) 78:314-335.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Kalvin,

I was not looking for one. So, no.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"Luck is the residue of design."
Branch Rickey

kalvin,

If you are interested in having a company perform this test for you, try MacLean Vehicle Systems. They are a fastener manufacturer with this equipment in their test lab. You can learn more about them at:

Regards,

Cory

Kenneth,

Thanks for the info on the test machine manufacturer. By the way, where the h@#$ ya been man?!?!?!

[sleeping] ??

[flush] ??

[rockband] ??

????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back