Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

vibration sensor for stop the pump or compressor 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemical
Jul 13, 2020
PL
Hello every body
In oil and gas industry, some huge pumps or compressors is equipped with vibration switch to shut down the pump or compressors and others have not vibration switch.
It seems for huge pumps or compressors the installation a vibration switch is mandatory. My question is what is the criteria for use the vibration switch? does API or ISO or any standard has criteria about this subject?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

==============
My question is what is the criteria for use the vibration switch? does API or ISO or any standard has criteria about this subject?
===============

First , it depends on what Technical Regulatory the project is adhering to. (country'USA' related and application 'refinery' related or 'company' related)
Then , under that document , you can find the machinery specification and code that needs to be followed during the purchase.
Example , to purchase a pump , the EPCC will issue API 610 data sheet to the bidders to fill in.
Under 6.4.2 , there are the instrumentation requirements that needs to be supplied in accordance to API 670 .

In short , YES , API and ISO does have specification that purchaser based on to buy their machines.
Bidders will usually quote exemptions.
EPCC and end user will decide and negotiate .

Is it not logical that, if those listed standards have limits to vibration, you should be able to determine when you cannot operate within those limitations and take appropriate action.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

Criteria?

Engineering judgement and company standards and guidelines IME.

More than about 30 to 50 kW is when I think you need to start thinking about vibration monitoring.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

dear friends
you know that vibration safety sensor is used to shut off pump or compressors when the vibration is high.
considering (not real) I want to buy all 4 following pumps or compressors with vibration switch:
1. 20 kw
2. 500 kw
3. 1000 kw
4. 1500 kw
in your opinion for which of the above I waste the money?

Saving money on stuff that will save your equipment from destroying itself isn't good practice.
It's called "false economy". It may save you a few pennies initially, but will cost you a bunch more money in the end.

One operating company calls for low flow trip for pumps >50kW on the basis that high machine vibrations at low flow can shear off connected piping leading to loss of containment. Would suggest using the same criterion for vibration switch.

dear friends
below is paragraph A.8.2.2.4 page 67 of API rp 14c about the pumps:

API rp 14c said:
A.8.2.2.4 Vibration Safety Devices
A vibration safety high device (VSH) should be provided on pump casings to shut down the pump in the event of a failure that may result in a loss of containment. A VSH is not required if:
— the pump with driver less than 1000 hp (high-energy pumps are at greater risk of loss of containment caused by mechanical failure), or
— the pump is manually operated and continuously attended.
As you can see, regardless of pump type or manufacturer or purchaser or bidder or company or EPCC or any limitation (just pump power), API rp 14c clearly says vibration sensor should be used for pumps with driver grater than 1000 hp.

because api rp 14c is just a safety standard for offshore oil and gas, I think criteria to use (or not necessary to use) of vibration sensor in another onshore facilities has been explained in another API or any standard or probably a hand book.

Seems rather high to me (760kW).

I will stick with my original answer.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

It is high. If you read the link I posted on 26 May, you will get the recommended answers to your question. If you choose not to follow those, its on you alone. Enjoy the butt kicking you will get from operations and maintenance department.

API RP 14c also recommends the installation of gas and fire detectors in all process areas. So these gas detectors are the only line of defense against potential loss of containment for machines less than 1000hp in offshore installations due to mechanical failure leading to high vibration, if you follow API RP14c. Do you, at the least, have 2oo3 voting gas detection around these <1000hp machines at this onshore installation?

Hi,

Please note :-
- API 670 provides guidance on where to install vibration and temperature monitoring probes but that is meant for "monitoring" and not for safety. Alarm/Trips due to high vibration as part of equipment safety considerations is generally dictated per Company wide policy documents &/or project specification &/or safety studies (HAZOP).

- API 610 recommends installation of the machine monitoring probes but that is based on the criteria for hydrodynamic bearings.

- API 614/617/618/619 also recommends installation of the machine monitoring probes but those are engineering requirements only.

For the equipment that you are dealing with, power figures are not the only parameter to be accounted for installing these. You need to work out a Criticality Rating for each before specifying these. That Criticality rating is in essence, a numerical index derived from : (1) Pressure, (2) Temperature, (3) Gas compositions, (4) Process Criticality factors.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back