Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Cards and Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocksolid2

Industrial
Oct 23, 2002
GB
Just a quick question everyone.

I'm looking at building a CAD orientated machine to cope with Solidworks 2001+ (soon to be 2003) as well as Rhino NURBS modeller, as well as all the other standard office software.

What video/graphics card in your experience would best fit such a machine? I've been advised through sources that Nvidia's Quadro4 are a good bet, but it's difficult to trust reviews sometimes. Also, what would be the advised CPU to aim for speed wise. I'm not looking to shell out mega bucks but I'm going to build myself so I don't get caught up in all the warranty c**p that these resellers spew.

Looking forward to some sound advice

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I recommend this:

1) AMD Thunderbird or what ever is top of the line.

2) 1 gig of RAM

3) Look at the Ultra-ATA PCI cards for your HDD. I use one and I love it. Even though my HHD is a 7200 RPM HDD. The Card makes the HDD run faster. Plus I can hook 2 HDD to that one card.

4) I use the GF2 right now, but I think I would buy the GF4 if I was building a new one. I would follow up and look at the Oxygen and Wildcat cards as well.

IHTH, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

*When in doubt always check the help*

I'm having problems using GeForce2...
Sometimes when I open more than one window the computer gets slow.
Do you know a drive to fix it???

Im using W2k also....Sp0.0 till I can find someone with SP 2 on CD. The drivers I'm using are 28.32 version. I got my drivers from this site:

I hope this helps you out and if you or anyone has a CD of SP2 for W2k I sure could use it...I don't trust MS site anymore after my last experience with them....SP3 ate my registery.

[cheers],

Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

*When in doubt always check the help*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back