Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Video Cards 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lot

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2001
US
We are still running Pro/E V. 20 here at Ametek. We have been allowed however to upgrade our computers, if not our software, ugh. Anyway, a Pentium 4 with a Radeon video card do not mix well - we get both "black box" areas on the screen and "dragging". Does anyone know if there is an "easy" soultion to this? I remember having similiar difficulties at a prior employer with this and we solved it either with a Windows setting or a Pro/E one but it's been a number of years ago for that. Help, please! Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not a 'super user' but when I sloved my display problems by changing the <graphics> config setting - try alternating between the options to see if your problem goes away. If I remember correctly you should restart Pro/E after every config change, I believe 'Load Config' will not change the Graphics setting. Hope this is of help.

I don't know if this is what you meant by your &quot;dragging&quot; problem, but be sure you uncheck the &quot;Show Windows content while dragging&quot;. Go to the Display properties in the Control Panel. Under one of the tabs there should be the &quot;Show Windows content while dragging&quot; option (mine was under the &quot;Plus!&quot; tab). Make sure it is unchecked.
Sometime Pro/E doesn't handle that option very well and it can slow down your machine.

As long as your Radeon is running under NT or 2000, and you are using updated drivers, you should have the capability to utilize hardware accelerated OpenGL.

If this is the case, set the GRAPHICS config option to OPENGL and restart ProE. If you still are having problems, try ProE's video 'compatibility' mode by changing the GRAPHICS setting to WIN32_GDI. This mode disables most of the high-end graphics, allowing cheaper video cards to work properly.

Recneps

Thanks for the input, everyone. Prior to Recneps' answer we ended up after numerous attempts settling on an ATI Technologies &quot;Mach 64&quot; Grpahics Accelerator - 2 MB!!!!!!! My Pro does just flash off the screen or be afficted with little black &quot;bars&quot; scrolling across or horizontal &quot;bands&quot; -all three of these would happen after Pro had been running for a while - 1/2 hour or so.
However, after my IT guy's ulcer settles down we'll try the OPENGL fix recommendation.
Thanks again for the help - we need it.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Prior to Recneps' answer we ended up after numerous attempts settling on an ATI Technologies &quot;Mach 64&quot; Grpahics Accelerator - 2 MB!!!!!!! My Pro doesn't just flash off the screen or become afficted with little black &quot;bars&quot; scrolling across or horizontal &quot;bands&quot; anymore - all three of these would happen after Pro had been running for a while - 1/2 hour or so with other older cards. Yes, I am working with 'slightl&quot; rough images but............
However, after my IT guy's ulcer settles down we'll try the OPENGL fix recommendation.
Thanks again for the help - we need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back