Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Video Display Questions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

markrac

Electrical
Nov 17, 2003
US
My work has recently taken me into the architecture of video display systems; I'm having difficulty figuring out the best ways to perform some functions and/or locate ICs to do them. First one, is building a small color LCD "monitor" (QVGA) with NTSC/PAL input; small LCDs mostly have digital RGB inputs with external sync/scan. SOMEBODY must have silicon to do this economically. All I've found so far are very complex expensive devices that are severe overkill, at 3 or 4 times my budget, or having to put together a genlock/RGB analog decoder chip, triple video ADC, and a bunch of logic to do the MUX and display timing. The other is implementing OSD and/or simple graphic/text display with NTSC/PAL video (overlaid preferred, but switched will be acceptable if it's really cheap!). Any hints? Anyone know suppliers that have this kind of application information available?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

zeitgeist:
yes, it's obsolete. My first thought after I figured out how crude a solution I needed was, "I wish the Commodore 64 chipset was still around."

A quick search through our IC subscription database suggests that various chips from Mitsubishi may do the job. The M51403FP/GP or M52015FP, for example, are NTSC/PAL processor chips with RGB outputs.
Also found Philips and Sony worth a look.

Thanks to all for your suggestions; unfortunately, apparently I have a niche application that isn't addressed by anything I've looked at. The Mitsubishi chips are obsolete (in fact, so is Mitsubishi Semi, whose business was absorbed by Renesas, but all the old parts like the PAL and NTSC decoders were dropped). The STV3550 is a one-chip video solution... for big screen HDTV displays, severe overkill and too much money (even too many digits in the price) for my puny quarter-VGA or lower resolution! I have to rethink my system architecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back