Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vierendeel Concrete Truss

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTAdam

Structural
Sep 15, 2015
IL
What's a good book to read that deals with the design of a vierendeel concrete truss? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd start with the precast world and look into similar things there. For parking structures, it's common to use "vista walls" which are not exactly the same but exhibit considerable similarity. They're heavily perforated shear walls that allow for greater visibility within parkades.

I'm jealous of your assignment. One of my mentor's did a story high concrete vierendeel transfer girder for the local city hall back in the day. Bold and interestingly detailed. Not sure if it would still fly by modern seismic codes.

I'm guessing that your primary concerns will be:

1) Brutal opening and closing joints at all of the web/chord connections. We can certainly dig up plenty of information on that.

2) A reasonable assessment of joint stiffness.

3) Constructability.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back