Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewer or Translater for .MODEL file

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadman1964

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2009
US
One of our customers has sent us a .MODEL file. We have no way to open this file. Does anyone know of a translater to translate this file to .IGES, STP or PARASOLID??? Or a link to a viewer.

Solid Edge V20

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well we run Solid Edge V20 here and don't have CATIA. We found out it's ver expensive to gt a translater for our software

Solid Edge V20

If you can't afford to get a translation program, there are many translation services available over the web. Much cheaper if you don't need it done very often.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Why don't you tell to your customer to send the file in a neutral file?. Maybe they have the license to do that.

Regards
Fernando

Well are darling sales guy's was giving us a hard time about how we should know how to open this. Basically they didn't want to call the customer. To make a long story short, he ended up calling the customer and hopefully we'll have the correct file tomorrow.

Solid Edge V20

Your "sales guy" was right - you really should know how to open that file. It is as easy as File -> Open.That's assuming that you actually have Catia V5...

Sales guys right?? O please...lol

Anyways, we don't have Catia and we never needed to buy a translator for Catia in the 10-1/2 years I've been here. The sales guys just didn't want to listen to us very smart engineers.

Solid Edge V20

cadman1964 said:
we don't have Catia and we never needed to buy a translator for Catia in the 10-1/2 years I've been here. The sales guys just didn't want to listen to us very smart engineers.

So what's the nature of your question, then?

Evidently, I must be as dense as your "sales guy", because I'm plenty confused. [neutral]

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

The nature of the question, as I understand it, is what software is required to read a .model file or to translate it into a neutral format, (other than Catia)?

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Actually, the title of the thread seems pretty clear as to the nature of the question.

EWH - thanks for YOUR clarification - but I'm really wondering shy somebody would post a question on how to open a Catia file without Catia, when they've supposedly been doing it for 10+ years. Call it a need to satisfy my own curiosity, I suppose.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Ah, that's another question all together.

LOL LOL
In the 10-1/2 years i've been using our current cad system (Solid Edge) we never had a reason to buy a Catia translater for solid edge until maybe now. Clear??? :)

All i was trying to ask is, is there any other programs instead of Catia that can open a .MODEL file? We have now asked the customer for a IGES file, hopefully they'll send one.

Solid Edge V20

Do yourself a favor and ask for a .stp file instead.

There's a program called TransMagic that you may want to take a closer look at, but getting a neutral format is usually the best way. However, in my experience not many suppliers/customers want to send their files in any other format than their native (our company being one of those) since that would result in them being responsible for any errors/changes to the original model as a result of any other format or the translation process.

The TransMagic program contains a Catia kernel and is capable of translating many different CAD formats. Be aware that V4 tubing is a huge problem, so if the .model file contains tubing you may find yourself up some familiar creek without a paddle.

-----------------------
Christian Bunes

We use TranMagic and have been pleased with it. It handles most native Catia files very well, but like most translators does not work with any type of drawing files.
I have encountered customer problems counter that of Christians however, in that many seem to insist on sending .cgr conversion files, which are lightweight files not supported by TransMagic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back