Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewing models with Catia V5 Demo software???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdc1234

Automotive
Nov 21, 2002
US
Hi,

I teach a Catia V5 class to out-of-work automotive designers.

We work with regular fully functional Catia V5 R9 software in class, but I also provide my students with the free Catia V5 demo CD that IBM gives away so that they can practice what we do in class on their home computers.

The demo disk license allows the students to work in Catia V5, but they are unable to save their work.

The problem is this; I want to give my students the models they create in class so they can go home and practice creating assemblies. Unfortunately, the only models the demo license allows my students to open are the models that came on the demo disk. I'd like to know if there is something I can do to the models we create in class so they can be opened with the demo license. What magic is IBM/Dassault doing to prevent models other than the ones they provide from being opened? I'm not asking how to "crack" the license so they can save their work. I just want to know if there is a way to open models other than those on the demo disk.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Keith

PS You can download one of the demo models here: ftp://ftp.xstime.com/Spindle_start.zip

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is an interesting thread on COE about "student" CATIA software (may need to register for access):

engineering. com is SELLING some demo disk, probably the V7 that DS/IBM offers free, for $100. It's not compatible with real-world CATIA according to the thread either, and I wouldn't be surprised if it also has the abortive crapola documentation. As I have said on this newsgroup and others, this is very pathetic marketing strategy, since the actual V5 documentation installation is a class act, especially with the bonus disk having PDF manuals for most all the products...and deserves global exposure.

Hi Nick,

I was referring to the Catia V5 demo version that IBM gives away for free (see URL below). I don't know anything about the "student version".

The demo version offers fully functional Part Design, Wireframe & Surface, Sketcher, etc, but you can't save your work. I'm not sure which level they are currently shipping.

I'd like to be able to open an existing Catia model in the demo version for the purpose of creating an assembly.

Keith:

Did you get any solutions to your original post?

As I have posted several times in the past, the R7 demo is pathetic for a company like DS/IBM. The new $100 R10 solution for students looks much better, but I haven't read where it solves file incompatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back