Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viewperf.10 which benchmark reflects SE performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBX

Mechanical
Apr 9, 2004
CA
I’m in the process of building a new workstation to run SE.
In the process of picking up the graphic card

Looking at the ViewPerf. 10 benchmark, i was wondering which of the tests will most closely reflect SE performance?

UGNX because it’s from the same company
or
SW because apparently it shares some resemblances to SE.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi RBX,
AI don't know about the ViePerf benchmarks, but in my home system I have a Quadro FX4600 that's got 768MB on board.
These are now around £1000 (UK) but I've not found anything yet that it can't handle - and that's on models with 20-30K parts. Well worth it if you can afford it, but it depends on the size and complexity of models you have.
As for the rest of the system, the 2.4GHz quad-core gives very good value for money, and the 4 cores WILL make a difference if you are processing drawing views of fairly big model. I've regularly seen all 4 cores flat out at 100% when doing this and it seems far quicker than the 3Ghz single core Xeon I'm using at the moment.
Other than that it's get a fast hard disk and fast memory.
I have 4GB installed, but I use XP32 so can't make full use of it. XP64 would let you use all the memory but I've had problems with plotting and some other functions under XP64 (probably wrong drivers etc.)
Hope this helps.

bc.
CAD2 Imagine Workstation
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

the apc benchmark is much more useful because it is really running SE not replaying a moving. The veiwperf benchmark can get fooled by driver tweaks and just isn't as realisitc.

Of course the problem is that it is easier to find the veiwperf scores. The two packages you picked are probably the most relevant ones. Ignore the autocadd and maya scores.

The criteria I use when choosing a card is to look for the newest generation and speed of ram over amount of ram. When choosing between vendors drivers are just as important as hardware. 3Dlabs had good hardware but bad drivers.

Does anyone know how to find out how much video memory SE is using?

Thank you for all the replies:0

HDS:
thats exactly the reply i was hopping for, i will most definetly check out spec.apc benchmark!

thank you

If you look at the scores Nvidia lists you will see variation from in SW and UG. For example compare the 3700 and the 5600. In SW they 3700 is slightly better but in UG the 5600 is better. I do not know if the difference is in how the programs work or what datasets were used.

I made my decision on a combination of price and what I could get from from Dell. I got the 3700.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back