Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Virtual Parts not entirely "virtual"... really

Status
Not open for further replies.

TateJ

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2002
US
I've been usung "virtual parts" in my assemblies since 08 hit the road without issue.
But last week - I had some crashes while working in assemblies with lots of external references.

Today, I opened an assembly & it couldn't fint the virtual part. It was looking in one of my TEMP folders.
AH HAH... I says... so they DO live on the hard drive, outside of the assembly... maybe... sort of.

I did eventuially find my part.
I had to search for it in C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETINGS\MYNAME\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP\...

So, consider this an FYI...

Let me know if it's worthy... I can FAQ it.

Jack L Tate said:
Right-click. It's friggin' magic!
FAQ376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This morning I came into work and opened my assembly, and my virtual parts are all suppressed. It can't find the files. I did a search on my whole hard drive and can't find them. I use the virtual parts mainly for construction surfaces and I break all the external references. They have been working fine for me in the past, but I guess now its more Soliworks functionality that I don't dare use.

I did have backups of them in my temp file, but for whatever reason they were empty.

Jason Forward
Solidworks 2008
AMD FX-60 2.6 Ghz 4.0Gb Ram
Quadro FX3400 / XP64

Same here, when I send the files to my var it was "there is not much we can do, but it never happens, so reinstall SW, it is probably your installation"...
Nice features...

If some crashing occurs with SW that's fine by me, but complete files disappearing (problem has been reported from the start of the beta for 2008) without taking it really serious is NOT done for software your business depends on!

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer
Searching Eng-Tips forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back