Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VIRTUAL TIPOLOGY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferro1001

Automotive
Aug 11, 2004
DE
Hi,

I have imported a model of a structure in wireframe from CATIA v.5 to ABAQUS, but I have some problems with big curvatures and I have little wireframe lines that I can´t delete. I have been told to use virtual tipology in the mesh module; can anybody explain me how to do it?

Thanks in advance

ferro1001

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Virtual topology allows CAE to ignore certain edges when meshing a part. This is useful when importing CAD drawings which have not been drawn incorrectly, ie. edges or points that don't exactly match. The mesh you obtain will show elements overlapping those edges you have ignored. An alternative to using virtual toplogy is to send the drawing back ask the person to do the drawing properly.

corus

Hi again,

I can´t use virtual topology in my model; this is what ABAQUS says:

The selected entities cannot be ignored.

An entity can be ignored only if it shared by two higher-dimensional entities or if it is embedded within a higher-dimensional entity.

I need to delete six little free lines in my wireframe model, but these lines exist because of an error of CATIA with big curvatures, I don,t know how to work this out in CATIA. Anybody knows what could be done?

Thanks in advance,

ferro1001

I don't think wire frames can be used in virtual toplogy as I think this generally applies to surfaces and solids, hence the message from Abaqus. If there's not a CATIA forum then try meshing the part and then creating a meshed part and then delete the elements in the part module. Just a guess.

corus

Instead of "ignore entities" you should use "combine edges". This way a series of connected edges will be treated as a single edge.

BTW This type of topological error is common from CATIA :( It seems to want to split up high order edges into separate entities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back