Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Viscosity of saturated brine under pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECD40

Mechanical
Mar 4, 2014
CA
Does anyone have information of the behavior of saturated brine when put under high pressure. At atmospheric pressure the dynamic viscosity of the brine is 1.297 centiPoise and an SG of 1.180 at 57 degrees F. This brine will be subjected to a pressure of 190 bar at the same temperature and SG. Will the dynamic viscosity remain constant or will it change (up or down)? This may affect pump and motor sizing in a deep mine.
Any information will be appreciated.
Thanks,
ECD40

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The effect of pressure on liquid viscosity is not well understood. Mixture rules on liquid viscosity isn't exactly down to a science either. At low temperatures and high pressures, liquid viscosity can increase significantly. See attached. If you have a good bit of water in the brine, it may help you a lot.

Good luck,
Latexman

To a ChE, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ad8680e5-163c-4649-9eaf-6abeb2fe900d&file=2112_001.pdf
To Latexman,
I appreciate your quick response.

I'm into a mining project that has never been done before, so I have little to go on. The saturated brine contains about 25% salts and 75% water. The pump suppliers are familiar with pumping water at 190 bar, but not saturated brine at 190 bar, so I need to ensure that we have no surprises later on. The pumps will be positive displacement type, so it's the pump horsepower calculations that will be affected if the viscosity increases significantly and also reduces the USgpm. That in turn affects the project economics. The mine shaft is about 1 mile deep.

Doing a lab test to check the viscosity at 190 bar will be difficult as the labs that I know of are not equipped for this kind of pressure test.

Any further thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,
ECD40

I'd start Googling and calling tech support for the big boys in viscosity/rheology measurement. We use Brookfield viscometers. They may have some good advice.

Good luck,
Latexman

To a ChE, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back