Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Vision System Selection 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam023

Mechanical
Apr 6, 2001
BE
Can anybody advise me on a good quality Vision System... my application is to determine the co-ord position of a component prior to a process step.

I intend to use these co-ords to position a pick & place mechanism, ready in anticipation of the component as it is indexed to this work station.

Regards,
Sam Jordan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not to burst your bubble. What happens if the part moves in index? Are imaging where you grab?

A DVT camera is a great off the shelf package! Easy to integrate. $5000.00 or so.

If you plan on doing vision systems a lot in the future, and want to save a lot of money, you can develop your own package. You get a small analog camera, $300.00, a PC capture card for digital images, $500.00. You buy the image recognition software library. Of course you will need to be willing to tinker, or find someone who is, but you could end up with a flexible, cheap package.

To expand on the DVT package, The model 530 system gives you a full digital CCD imager, a general use lens & light (Many others are available). software, and all necessary cables, documentation, and accessories for about 5K. Software upgrades and training are free for life. Also includes an Ethernet port with IP address capabilities. The imager can become a direct drop on your TCP/IP LAN.
See for more info on this outstanding system.

A few years ago I used DVT vision to read coordinates of object and report back offset position to Fanuc welding robot. I did this using binary outputs from the DVT to give a 'range' of offest for the part in reference to the original path of the robot. I found the challenging part was to communicate between the DVT and robot. At that time, a driver had to be written in Karel language of the robot in order to communicate. I have not worked with either products in the last couple of years so it may be easier now.
The DVT is quite powerful with its smartsensor based software and is quite cost effective. Your application is being done more and more so I'm sure a good product rep could find some past examples for you. Good luck

Try contacting Vision Controls, ask to speak to Janis Zakis they help me set up a system recently uisng a PC, Keyence camera and video capture card which determines component orientation to allow a 6-axis robot to manipulate the part, they may be able to help you, please let me know how you get on.

For robot interfacing? Keyence has a nice one already suggested, but I like new Cognex Vision system, it's a "medium" scale vision system in my view, but yet very powerful and supports some robot interfacing. What robot are you wanting to interface with?
Chris Elston
Automation & Controls Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back