Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Basic API supports stops with release SW2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mig26

Automotive
Jan 17, 2003
NL
Hi guys,

I got news from our German supplier that SolidWorks 2008 will no longer support Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual Basic .NET

Only C++ and C# will be supported?

Does anyone have more info about this? I tried to search the website, but I could not find anything.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Handleman, I was worried too. I do not understand why the German supplier (SolidLine) made this comment. I will find out.

It would create a big problem in the future. Where can you find a Good SolidWorks engineer with knowledge of C++ or C#?

Right here, in Northern California ... even looking for work!!

If you already have some programming experience, C++ is not that hard to learn.

However, I'd be very surprised if that were true. I'll put this one in the urban legend category until I hear otherwise from additional reputable sources.

--------------------
How much do YOU owe?
--------------------

For those who didn't follow handleman's link...

It appears that VBA will be replaced by a next-generation VB-like language. No big deal.

BTW, it's technically possible to use nearly any OOP language to access SW API. I've seen some work done in JAVA already.

I had a call with our Dutch supplier, and he told me that Microsoft is developing a successor for VBA (Visual Basic for Applications, better known as the macro recorder and editor, which can be found in almost all Microsoft and related programs)

It will be most likely based on .NET, which will go more and more in the direction of Object Oriented Programming. So multiple language are more likely to be supported than heading in the direction of just one or two languages.

Thanks all for the response! I think I can now calm down the management over here that we do not have to focus on a different programming environment ;)

mig26,

Remind management that the only constant is change.

SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back